by carrieSeptember 4th, 2009 | Posted in baking, food | 1 Comment »
For a wedding this weekend, we were commissioned to make 160 cookies – half with the Oriole’s logo and half with the Yankees logo. They were to be used as the favor – wrapped in little bags next to a sign that says “Pick your team, Marissa’s Yankees or Kevin’s Orioles” Super cute, eh?
This task seemed easy enough – but it also hung over my head like a load of bricks. The time it would take was seriously expected to be in the many many hours column. But, as always, we got it done.
We started with the baking. We made about 168 – with a few extras in case of child stealing (check), falling on the floor (check), looking a bit too crooked (check), and over-browning (check, check, check). The final count is closer to 151 so we are in the clear! Here they are lined up like little soldiers on my counter:
Once they were baked, we let the cool a few hours. Then came the white icing. I must admit, I have found the BEST cookie icing recipe for this. I found it online and copied it right away. Here it is:
Best Cookie Icing Recipe:
6 oz (3/4 cup) of warm water
5 Tablespoons meringue powder (you can buy it at baking stores or Michael’s)
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 kilogram (2.25 lbs.) powdered sugar
In mixer bowl, pour in the warm water and the meringue powder. Mix it with a whisk by hand until it is frothy and thickened…about 30 seconds. Add the cream of tartar and mix for 30 seconds more.
Pour in all the icing sugar at once and place the bowl on the mixer. Using the paddle attachment on the LOWEST speed, mix slowly for a full 10 minutes. Icing will get thick and creamy.
You can use this amazing icing as an outline and then thin it a lot to fill it in. It worked great!
Here are the cookies filled with delicious white icing:
We let them dry (harden) overnight and the icing was nice and smooth and rock solid (in a good way!) Then, the decorating began. A few months ago I bought some stencils and we tried to use spray icing on some practice cookies back then and it didn’t work at all. Really. It was terrible! And then we didn’t try anything again so I was a little worried…
But we tried a few times, made a few mistakes. And then got in a rhythm. Here I am working on them like a little trojan horse (my grandma used to say that – and probably still does!)
I ended up using the stencil as a general guide and then filling in / adjusting after. It worked really well.
One more for funsies:
Chandler made most of the Oriole’s:
and I was in charge of the Yankees:
We had a few for taste testing and they were given the stamp of approval. Now all that’s left is time to dry and then packaging up to look so cute!