For the August issue of Sandbox Press, we’ve created a fun end of summer activity. Splatter paint stationery is fun to make and easy to use for sending thank you notes, making note cards for a gift, or writing home from summer camp! Kids can even make fun posters to display in their rooms.
Spray bottle, acrylic or Tempera Paints in a variety of colors, water, cardstock or other thick paper, small objects, such as seashells, leaves, and other trinkets, and envelopes for mailing (optional)
- Cover your workspace with newspaper.
- Pour a few teaspoons of paint into the spray bottle. Add about an inch of water. Add more water for a more transparent color.
- Arrange your seashells or other objects onto the paper (if using).
- Spray your colored water onto the paper.
- Repeat with other colors.
- Let your paper dry overnight.
- For stationery or note cards, cut the paper to fit your envelopes.
Try to choose a variety of paint colors and shades of paper. Thicker paper, such as cardstock, works best but you can also use printer paper. Stones, seashells, or your child’s hand will create different silhouettes on your paper. Making coordinating envelopes tied with a piece of ribbon makes a nice gift set.