My most recent article in the Sandbox Press was for these great butterflies:
Bring spring inside with these colorful butterflies! Simple to put together, they are made with vibrant colors found on the pages of magazines. You probably already have pipe cleaners in your craft supplies stash and can easily round up some magazines for the butterfly wings. Choose bright colorful photos and your butterflies will get your family in the mood for spring. Depending on the age of your child, you can let him or her choose the photos and cut the squares out of the magazine pages or you can prepare them in advance.
Magazine(s) with colorful photos
One piece of cardstock, or other stiff paper
Steps for each butterfly:
- Cut one 4” square and one 5” out of your cardstock paper for a pattern.
- Using your patterns, cut one of each square out of colorful magazine pages.
- Starting at one corner, fold the paper diagonally accordion style, making about ¼” folds, from one corner to the opposite side. Repeat with the second square.
- Bend your pipe cleaner in half and pinch the folded end closed. Twist to secure it about 1-2” from the fold.
- Place the folded squares in the pipe cleaner and twist to hold it in place.
- Curl the ends to make the butterfly’s antennae. Enjoy!